Thursday 19 November 2015

InterFaith Week 2015

Amidst all the negativity following the terrible attacks over the weekend and the subsequent bombing campaign where more innocent people have been killed, or will get caught in "collateral damage", this week has proven how the media has a lot to answer for. It has highlighted how detrimental and destructive, misinformation, poor journalism, and sensationalism to “sell stories” can be on communities, as we have witnessed a rise in racists and Islamophobic attacks. I believe they are hugely responsible in shaping people’s attitudes, and opinions. Only this morning I have read a couple of stories from friends and colleagues who have received abuse, as Muslims living in the UK.
Last night my 10 year old daughter was up crying in the middle of the night scared, and when asked about what she was worried about her answer was “what if people try to harm me because I am Muslim, because the news says Muslims are terrorists.” As a parent of children all born after 9/11 this is something that has never been far from conversation. Often worries about what they can or cannot say, for fear of being branded extreme. I feel they have been robbed of their freedom of speech, and freedom of expression. I feel dismayed that they are being told that they are not worthy individuals or their faith is one of murder and warfare.
Hence, why I feel dialogue is so important. I am a firm believer of celebrating similarities of all different faiths, as I feel it creates a greater understanding and forms solidarity as opposed to divisions, which I feel the media and the Government wants to create. Therefore as part of ‪#‎InterfaithWeek‬ there has been lots of events held all over Manchester.
Faith Network 4 Manchester hosted a conference examining Faith in Education. A topic crucial at this time; looking at how schools and those in education can be more inclusive, sharing good practice and what challenges can occur. I however, had two hats on yesterday representing Faith Network 4 Manchester at our MultiFaith day at CMFT where I volunteer in the Chaplaincy, supporting the spiritual care needs of Muslim patients. A day, where we were speaking with staff, nurses, doctors, and other medical and non-medical staff about the different faiths, and was a chance for them to ask any questions.
Despite all the horrifying stories I have heard around racist or Islamophobic attacks, what I also experienced yesterday was a huge sense of solidarity. I had a couple of people ask me how I was coping and managing with everything going on. I had colleagues who had been concerned for my safety while I was travelling in and out of Brussels the day before. I had others who told me that they didn’t believe that Muslims were "bad" when they believed in a Merciful and Benevolent Lord whose Prophet taught love and compassion. Another elderly lady from a Christian background shared “the attackers were human beings who were born from a mother like you and me, and I feel sorry for them. They must have been brainwashed into doing what they did.” She went onto say “war only breeds more war, so we need to stand together and break that cycle.”
In Solidarity
The work continues.
Aisha Mirza



No comments:

Post a Comment