Sunday 8 November 2015

My Journey back to the Arts

Today while having a clear out at home I came across and folder filled with work from the past. It is bizarre how our journeys begin and where they take us. This folder took me back to my university days when I was studying my bachelors in Sociology. In my spare time while involved with one of the societies, we would organise huge charity events which included fashion, performance, and art. The idea of our events was to give people at grass roots an opportunity to have a platform. I don't know where some of those wonderful people are now, and where their journeys took them, but hope they are doing well.

However little did I know that this would lead me to then be recruited by an organisation called Arts About Manchester, where I became involved in marketing and promoting BME arts events taking place at theatres all over Greater Manchester. I wasn't looking for a job in this work, it seemed to have found me.

The few years which followed were a whirlwind of insight, experience and opened my mind to the world even more. It allowed me to understand a different dialect of Art. Though I had studied fine art at college, what I painted on paper was different to what was portrayed when the visual, auditory and kinesthetic form came together. I had the opportunity to learn from some of the best, and gain a new understanding and for that I am so grateful. Back then I stood in the shadows promoting all these wonderful people and their groundbreaking work. I feel now I have gone full circle, returning to the arts, forging my own identity as a Muslim female artist. Never did I think I would be doing what I am doing now, and I hope and pray that my work, my word, and what I create can move, and touch hearts as those I have known did for me.

Picture: just some of the different art events I was involved in while working at Arts About Manchester and while I worked at the Contact Theatre Manchester. Good memories :)

No comments:

Post a Comment