Tuesday 31 January 2017

Manchester shows solidarity and why it matters.


For all those who have told me that a #MuslimBan in a different country is not my business nor the behaviour of its president should matter to me. I say this:

It does matter, and it is my business when an inhumane injustice is taking place. When my kind are being dehumanised and labelled. We are being told that we are lesser human, and therefore have lesser human rights. It does matter, when the media outlets globally, are churning out a narrative which subsequently adds fuel to the flames of hate which have been burning, ignited by leaders who have an agenda greater than what they disclose. It does matter that my day to day is impacted. That I have to remain vigilant of potential attack; verbal or physical. It matters, that there are preventative powers in place, which are created to police my words, my behaviour, and my interactions because I may be "too radical". It matters when my children feel afraid to speak their mind and are more likely to be stopped and searched than their white counterparts. It matters, when my whole faith is allowed to be ridiculed under "freedom of expression" and debated under the guise of "security". It matters when you have seen the aftermath. When you have witnessed how hate can easily turn to war. When friends have become enemies, and when what once was unimaginable becomes a reality.
It matters.
Justice matters.
Freedom matters.
Humanity matters.

Manchester protest last night. So proud of the people of my city who showed up in their thousands in solidarity with Muslims and against the #MuslimBan







No comments:

Post a Comment