Monday 6 March 2017

"Sheroes"


It's that time of year again when people around the world celebrate women.

This year Women of Faith wanted to celebrate women of courage, strength and resilience from different faiths. There was a sharing of stories of women, who despite circumstances, hardships, challenges, who faced suffering, torture, or death, continued to remain steadfast in their faith, to do what was right, just and fair.

We were reminded, though we have women from history and faith who inspire us, we are in fact surrounded by "sheroes". Those who rise each time they fall, those who stand tall, even if inside they are crumbling. Those who smile even if their hearts are broken, and those who bend but refuse to break. We listened to Dudia (my “sheroe”), share her powerful story of becoming a refugee, having to leave her home, family members, and her beautiful country of Bosnia, when war broke out.

What was most beautiful was that each and every woman had a story to tell and it saddens me that this was my final event as part of the Women of Faith Project. I thank every woman I have had the pleasure of meeting on this journey. I thank you for your love, support and friendship and I thank you for sharing your light.

There is something powerful that happens when women come together; there is change, there is boldness, there is strength, and there is action, all of which is enveloped in nurturing compassion and mercy. I salute you. May we continue in strength and unity.

#IWD2017 #BeBoldforChange





No comments:

Post a Comment